If you want a perfect box for your product, you first need to consider the size of the box to be designed so that your product remains safe in the box. You should know how to measure the product correctly for a perfect box size.
Three dimensions are used to measure the product:
- Length- The longest side of the product.
- Width- Turn the product to a 90-degree measurement. It is shorter than the length.
- Height- The depth from top to bottom.
We will explain with the help of images to make it easy for you to understand how you will measure your product for designing a perfect customized box.
Once you are done measuring the length, width, and height, add 2 mm to gain the ideal size of your box.
How to Measure the Rectangular-Shaped Product?
Products are in any shape and size. Suppose you have a rectangular product. You need to measure its length, width, and height.
To measure length, use the following steps:
- Place your product on a flat surface.
- Use a ruler or inches-tape
- Measure from left to right as shown in the figure
Now, turn the product to 90 degrees. It is shorter than the length of your product. Measure width by using the following steps:
- Make sure to place the product on a flat surface.
- Measure using a ruler or inches-tape
- Measure from front to back
After getting the length and width of your rectangular product, you are just one step away from getting the accurate measurement of the box, which is the product’s height. To measure the height, follow these steps:
- Place the product on a smooth surface
- Measure with the help of a ruler or inches-tape
- Measure from top to bottom
After measuring the length, width, and height of your product, add 2mm or 0.078 inches to all three measurements to get the ideal size of packaging that fits your product.
If you have a spherical product, the perfect way to measure it is by using a vernier caliper. But, if you do not have a vernier caliper, you can also measure it with the help of the scale. For your help, we are explaining both ways with the help of images.
How to Measure With the Help of the Vernier Caliper?
It is tricky to use a vernier caliper to measure spherical products. But it isn’t true! It even allows you to measure more quickly than usual. Let us explain how it works. To measure the height of the spherical product, use the following steps:
- Place the product horizontally on a flat surface.
- Place the product between the vernier caliper.
- Fix your product in its jaws
- Note the reading
Now is the time to measure the diameter of the spherical product by using the following steps:
- Put the product vertically on a flat surface
- Open the jaws of the vernier caliper
- Fix the product in between the jaws of the vernier caliper
Desired dimensions are calculated by adding 2mm or 0.078 inches.
How to Measure Cylindrical Products Using a Scale?
Measuring a cylindrical product is a little tricky, but do not worry. We are here for you to explain how to measure it using a simple ruler or scale, just like a rectangular object.
Do you know the interesting part? For spherical products, length and width are of the same sizes. So, just put the product vertically on a smooth surface and measure the bottom from left to right, as shown in the image. It is how you find your required length and width.
To measure the height, place the product horizontally on a smooth surface. Measure the top-to-bottom height with the scale as shown in the image.
Add 2mm or 0.078 inches to these dimensions and get your required box size.